Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bringing Up Bébé

“French parents are very concerned about their kids. They know about pedophiles, allergies, and choking hazards. They take reasonable precautions. But they aren't panicked about their children's well-being. This calmer outlook makes them better at both establishing boundaries and giving their kids some autonomy.”
- Pamela Druckerman, Bringing Up Bebe

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Perhaps the best test for me of whether I like a book is how much I talk about it, and I spent many hours talking (to anyone and everyone) about Bringing Up Bebe.  I was perhaps the last person on the planet to pick up this book, but I'm glad I finally did.

This book has a lot of content, much of which was good, some of which was simply repetitive.  I listened to this on my daily commute and there were some days that I just had to take it out for a break, but for the most part I was intrigued and enjoyed hearing new ideas about things.  (I also have to point out that the book is pretty one-sided and I don't believe that everything French parents do is superior to Americans, but I can see how a balance is healthy and both have things that are positive).

Druckerman and her husband moved to Paris for what was intended to be a short stint there, and decided to stay.  Bringing Up Bébé chronicles raising her three kids in Paris, comparing the parenting practices of the French, specifically the Parisians, to Americans.  She covers several subjects, including sleeping through the night, showing respect for adults, adult life balance and setting boundaries for children, but the most fascinating things I learned about were the eating habits of French children.

In an epic new format for Book Beat, I defer to a list for some of the things I learned from Bringing Up Bébé:

1. It's a good idea to introduce vegetables to your baby first.
2. Snacks aren't necessary.
3. Starting very young (ie 3 months), children can be taught to eat just every four hours.
4. Dislike for a food typically comes from underexposure.
5. Kids can eat and enjoy fish.
6. Many skills can be taught while making a cake with your toddler.

I really enjoyed it.  I picked up a few ideas that I'd like to implement some day with my own children, so it was a win for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment