Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Granny Torrelli Makes Soup

Granny Torrelli Makes Soup by Sharon Creech

While my husband was gone (ice fishing) this morning and I was feeling too sick with a cold to get to the gym, I picked up Granny Torelli Makes Soup.  Nobody recommended it to me, but I've really enjoyed others by Sharon Creech and simply couldn't resist grabbing it at the library when I saw the cover.  Plus, who doesn't love Italian? 

It was a fun, quick read.  I really enjoyed that the book spanned just two days and that the whole thing was the conversation between Granny Torrelli and her granddaughter, Rosie, as they make Italian food.  The style was unique, with all spoken dialogue italicized (not in quotations) and I found myself reading the book as though I was watching a play.  Plus, with the way they talk about the food you almost feel like you're in the kitchen.

This would be a great book to read with a child who's struggling with losing their best friend to someone "newer" or fighting feelings of jealousy because of what's going on with their friends.  Lots of nice lessons sprinkled throughout that would be good to talk through after reading (you could plan convenient ending times each day while reading and talk about that day's section).  I liked it.  It was simple, quick and light with some good lessons underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment