Monday, January 21, 2013

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

“...I tell myself it does not matter what one reads--favorite authors, particular themes--as long as we read something. It is not even important to own the books.”
― Helen Simonson, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand 

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Major Pettigrew lives in the countryside of England as a widower in his late 60s.  He is overcome with grief again when he hears of his brother's death, an unexpected occurrence that happens just before the book begins.  He is pulled out of his despair by Mrs. Ali, a shop owner from the village, who stops in and steps in to help when she understands the situation. 

In time, Mrs. Ali and Major Pettigrew develop a friendship, based on loyalty, compassion, genuine concern for the other and time-honored traditions like drinking tea and discussing literature.  (I can't help but think such traditions would be great to start around these parts!)  Of course, even while they are becoming friends they are both dealing with issues that real life deals out: the Major has a moronic son who is selfish and unkind and Mrs. Ali has a nephew she feels obligated to help (he brings a host of issues himself).  The story, then, weaves back and forth between the current events with family and friends and a blossoming love story. 

Until the last 75-100 pages the book was very steady, quite inconsequentially eventful, and, as I can best describe it, deliberate.  The writing is beautiful, detailed and witty, as only an example can demonstrate:

My dear Mrs. Ali, I would hardly refer to you as old," he said. "You are in what I would call the very prime flowering of mature womanhood." It was a little grandiose but he hoped to surprise a blush. Instead she laughed out loud at him. "I have never heard anyone try to trowel such a thick layer of flattery on the wrinkles and fat deposits of advanced middle age, Major," she said. "I am fifty-eight years old and I think I have slipped beyond flowering. I can only hope now to dry out into one of those everlasting bouquets.

I truly enjoyed how rich the text was; it seemed to me that each sentence was crafted to perfection (I can't imagine how someone can write like that and think it is nothing short of a true gift).  It was delightful to be allowed to listen to the conversations of such eloquent characters.

Sadly, I found myself quite disappointed in the ending, which felt very far-fetched considering the previous 300 pages of the book.  Though the ending wasn't sad, the twist was so unexpected and evil that I had a hard time accepting it as the true ending for the book: it left a sour taste in my mouth.  The rest of the pages, however, were a lot of fun to read, and for those that aren't sensitive readers (as I definitely confess I am), this may be the perfect book.

No comments:

Post a Comment