Friday, January 11, 2013

Replay

"When I am happy, I tap-dance."
-Replay, Sharon Creech

Replay by Sharon Creech

Last time I was at the library I went to grab Love That Dog and Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech...and just grabbed a stack of books while there.  Replay was one of them, and the first one I picked up.  

Replay has several circumstances at play throughout it, but the theme remains: that of players on a stage, whether the stage is life itself, a play at school, the daydreams of a young boy or the stories of the past.  The story is told by Leo, a young boy in an Italian family, trying to figure out what part he plays in life, both the present and in the bigger scheme of things.  He uncovers more as he learns about the past, dreams about the future and prepares for his school play.

I didn't love it.  It took me too long to figure out who was narrating (the voice is that of a child, and it is Leo, but is always in third person) and I think I may have missed the symbolism entirely (which is just a reminder of my lack of training in literary analysis...)  I don't think I'll pick this one up again; too many other options that appeal to me more than this.


No comments:

Post a Comment